Announcing the 2022–23 ‘Encore!’ Music Season | MSUToday
Community members are invited to join Michigan State University College of Music for an affordable music season filled with variety, exceptional talent, and world-class performances in state-of-the-art venues on MSU’s campus.
“Bis!” 2022-23 features a full lineup of live performances, including some of the college’s most beloved and recognizable series and events. Popular annual series are the MSU Federal Credit Union Showcase Series, the Joanne and Bill Church West Circle Series, the Ken and Sandy Beall Cello Plus Chamber Music Festival, and the Taylor Johnston Early Music Series. Impressive events include two fully staged operas, plus sets of new and old music. Jazz aficionados will enjoy MSU Federal Credit Union’s Jazz Artists in Residence program in addition to fan-favorite seasonal events, crowned by the annual Jazz Spectacular in the spring.
A range of orchestral and group performances return as mainstays of the college, anchored by the talents of student artists and expert conductors in large and small ensembles. Music lovers will be energized as faculty and guest artists take to the campus stages through the WKAR-sponsored Artist and Faculty Recital Series. General admission recitals and performances are offered in all halls of the College of Music, adding to the affordable and accessible tone of the season.
“Audience members really help bring the music to life with an energy that will add to the wide variety of events we offer our community,” said James Forger, Dean of the College of Music. “We look forward to welcoming everyone back, inviting more members of the community to experience a College of Music event, and building on the family of music patrons who make it all possible. We encourage everyone to try something new as we present musical art that improves our quality of life.
“Bis!” takes place from September to May. More than 120 ticketed events are available, featuring 66 guest musicians and artist teachers, and 21 ensembles featuring more than 600 MSU student artists. Events take place at the Fairchild Theatre, Cobb Great Hall at the Wharton Center and Cook Recital Hall, Murray Hall and Hollander Hall. This is also the first full musical season with the new custom-made “Opus 134” Létourneau organ in the newly renovated MSU Alumni Memorial Chapel available for performances.
Tickets for the full “Encore!” season of events are publicly available and on sale starting August 25.
A list of these events is available online at music.msu.edu/encore-season.
Season Highlights: 2022-23 Series of Events
Unless otherwise noted, the performances listed below are reserved-seat events at the Fairchild Theater at MSU Auditorium.
MSU Federal Credit Union Presentation Series
- Telling the story: Christmas Oratorios by Bach & Saint-Saëns, Saturday, December 10, 8 p.m., Wharton Center
- A Jazzy Little Christmas, Saturday, December 17, 8 p.m.
- Barbara Wagner Chamber Music Competition, Saturday April 1, 3 p.m. and 6 p.m.
- Piano Monster, Sunday, May 14, 3 p.m.
Joanne and Bill Church West Circle Series
- The best of Baroque, Monday October 10, 7:30 p.m.
- The Beauty of Brahms, Monday December 5, 7:30 p.m.
- Happy Birthday Mozart! Monday, January 30, 7:30 p.m.
- All American, Monday, April 3, 7:30 p.m.
Taylor Johnston Early Music Series
- The Baltimore Consort, Tuesday, October 11, 7:30 p.m.
- Jean Rondeau, harpsichord, Tuesday, Nov. 11, 7:30 p.m.
- Artifex Consort, Tuesday, February 28, 7:30 p.m.
Ken and Sandy Beall Cello Plus Chamber Music Festival
- Dialogues, Monday, April 10, 7:30 p.m. Alumni Memorial Chapel
- The A, B and C of Baroque, Wednesday April 12, 7:30 p.m.
- Romance in the Air, Friday April 14, 8:00 p.m., Cook Recital Hall
Worthington Family Foundation Opera Season
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: La Finta Giardiniera
- Wednesday, Nov. 16, 7 p.m.; Thursday, Nov. 17, 7 p.m.; Friday, Nov. 18, 7 p.m.; Sunday, Nov. 20, 3 p.m.
- A celebration of the beautiful voice, Sunday February 19, 3:00 p.m.
- Giuseppe Verdi: Falstaff, Wednesday, March 22, 7 p.m.; Friday, March 24, 7 p.m.; Saturday, March 26, 7 p.m.; Sunday, March 26, 3 p.m.
MSU Federal Credit Union Jazz Artists in Residence
- Carmen Bradford, jazz voice, Friday, October 7, 8 p.m.
- Adrian Mears, trombone, Friday, December 9, 8 p.m.
- Bruce Forman, guitar, Friday, February 3, 8 p.m.
- Camille Thurman, saxophone, Friday, March 3, 8 p.m.
Annual Jazz Performance Series
- Concert Jazz Spectacular Finale, Saturday, April 22, 8 p.m.
- General admission events: Jazz Octets, Thursday, April 20, 7:30 p.m.; Swing dance, Friday, April 21, 8 p.m. Murray Hall
This story originally appeared on the College of Music website.