Shreveport music fans can expect jazz and disco this weekend
It’s officially festival season in Shreveport and this weekend it kicks off with the Highland Blues and Jazz Festival. If blues music isn’t your thing, fret not as there’s more to look forward to like a silent disco, several art gallery openings and a chance to take part in Christmas in the Sky.
friday september 16
- The French Revolution at the cinema Vernissage at the RW Norton Art Gallery – From the collection of Dr. Michael Creswell comes a new art gallery showcasing the film posters of one of the most well-known and important events in history, the French Revolution. Come enjoy the exhibit with drinks and hear from Dr. Creswell and Dr. Alexander Mikaberidze. The RW Norton is located at 4747 Creswell Ave. in Shreveport.
- Opening of the SOLO exhibition at Artspace – Artists Eric Francis, Julie Kane, Debra Roberson and Genaro Ky Ly Smith will present their Critical Mass solo exhibitions to the public and critics will be there to review the works. The show begins at 5 p.m. at Artspace located at 708 Texas St. in downtown Shreveport.
- Ask an Art Critic at Central ARTSTATION – San Diego and award-winning Chemical Bank journalist Robert L. Pincus, Ph.D. will convene a panel of critics to answer questions from artists and art lovers in Shreveport. The free event will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Central ARTSTATION located at 801 Crockett St. in downtown Shreveport.
Saturday September 17
- 18th Annual Highland Jazz and Blues Festival at Columbia Park – Come and enjoy a day of live music from local and national jazz and blues artists, food and local artwork in Historic Columbia Park located at 600 Columbia Park in Shreveport.
- Silent Disco at Remington Garage – Come and have a fun night of funky music, food and fun. Grab headphones as you enter and enjoy the unique sounds of three of Shreveport’s top DJs. DJ Flow will bring hip-hop and dance tunes, DJ Lomax will spin house and techno while DJ Adrian will bring the best of Latin music styles. This is an 18+ event with a full bar and food truck on site. Remington Garage is located at 211 Market St. in Shreveport and the event begins at 7 p.m.
- Homestead Basics: Bake Your Own Cookies at Broadmoor Shreveport Memorial Library – For National Buttermilk Cookie Month, Shreveport Biscuit Company owner Kanya Michelle will teach how to make old-fashioned cookies from scratch. Come to the Broadmoor Branch of the Shreveport Memorial Library located at 1212 Captain Shreve Dr. in Shreveport from 2-3 p.m.
Sunday September 18
- Christmas Cast Call in the Sky at Central ARTSTATION – The bi-annual Black Tie Gala is fast approaching and if you’re looking for a way to get involved, becoming a character or entertainment is a great opportunity. If you are interested in being a costumed character, auditions will be from 1-3 p.m. and if you are interested in being live entertainment, auditions will be from 3-5 p.m. For event information, requirements and more, see the Christmas in the Sky Audition event Facebook page.
Meredith G. White is an arts and culture reporter for the Shreveport Times. You can find her on Facebook as Meredith G. White, on Instagram and Twitter as @meredithgwhite, and email her at [email protected]